If you were hurt in Tacoma because of someone’s careless action, you may have a personal injury claim. Washington has a statute of limitations, which gives three years to file a civil lawsuit against the defendant in most situations. Before you make the first move, consider asking for legal advice from an expert. It is pertinent that you engage an attorney who specializes in personal injury law in Washington. Here are some things to look for when hiring an injury lawyer in Tacoma.
- Pertinent experience: Personal injury lawyers often deal with a specific range of cases. A lawyer may know everything about auto accident claims but might lack the expertise to fight a medical malpractice lawsuit. Always choose someone who has relevant and specific experience in similar cases.
- Local exposure: While many firms from other states take up cases in Tahoma, you should choose someone who is based in the city. Local attorneys know the ins and outs of the system in Washington, and more importantly, they already have the resources, contacts, and connections required to handle a claim. You will have less to worry about.
- Communication: From the first time you meet them to getting updates in the future, you should always work with an injury lawyer who is communicative. Consider their approach and if they are compassionate about discussing your concerns. Also, get contact details and discuss how you can get in touch when necessary.
- Reviews: You should always check online ratings when comparing local lawyers in Tacoma. If an injury law firm has fantastic reviews from other clients on legal sites and social media profiles, that is always a positive trait. While references are always handy, look for independent information.
- Ethics: Does the attorney want you to inflate your injuries? Are they suggesting that you lie about the situation? Do they want to overstate details to get a higher settlement? These are clear signs that an attorney doesn’t adhere to the profession’s ethics.
- Fees: The fee of an injury lawyer depends on the outcome, which is known as a contingency arrangement. The lawyer will get a percentage of the final settlement, owed only when you win the lawsuit or settle the claim. Ensure you understand these details and other expenses that are your responsibility.
Seek a free assessment for your case as soon as you are hurt or get involved in an accident. They can make the most of the immediate circumstances.